Tails of Help was at the ABVTA 40-Year Anniversary Vet Tech Conference this past weekend in Edmonton Saturday & Sunday May 4-5 … (continued … )Read More
Humans love chocolate for many occasions, including Easter! Unfortunately, chocolate in all forms is poisonous to our pets and should be kept away from them.
Who is at risk?
Cats and dogs are both at risk of chocolate poisoning …
As Easter approaches, species of Lily plants will be flooding the market. Cat owners need to be aware of the risks of toxicity (poisoning) associated with lilies. Many different species of plants are called lilies. Toxic examples include (but are not limited to):
Global News video: Lauren Adelman, a Calgary-based veterinarian, joins Global News Calgary to discuss the danger of dogs consuming cannabis and what signs to look for if you believe your pet has.Read More
During final reporting this week from the 2018 Tails of Help Alberta Challenge, we received word of another terrific contribution from the Veterinary Graduates of Western Canada.
Final results update to close of Friday Dec 21, 2017:
Alberta Challenge tentative results posted Dec 29:
THANK YOU TO EVERYONE THAT PARTICIPATED, DONATED AND SUPPORTED THIS CAMPAIGN. THE SUPPORT HAS BEEN ABSOLUTELY TREMENDOUS!
NOW FOR THE RESULTS … (continued…)Read More
Yes there are great prizes, but the greatest prize is helping to save more sick or injured Alberta pets!
Here is a picture of Dioji, one of over 150 Alberta pets that Tails of Help has saved already this year, and more than 550 during the past 5 years.
Read more about Dioji's heart-warming success story and the Alberta Challenge on our web page here:
Now any clinic/team can win a prize!
Any staff/team member can win!
Any client/donor or visitor can win!
Questions about the Alberta Challenge or Prize Draws? email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Humans love chocolate for all occasions, especially at Halloween! Unfortunately, chocolate in all forms is poisonous to our pets and should be kept away from them.
Who is at risk?
Cats and dogs are both at risk of chocolate poisoning. However, there are more reported cases of dogs being affected since dogs typically eat just about anything. Smaller pets face much greater risk of chocolate toxicity than large breed dogs because it only takes a small amount of chocolate to negatively affect them. 3 ounces of milk chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea in a 9kg dog while it takes about 11 ounces to cause the same effects in an 35 kg dog.
Theobromine, the naturally occurring stimulant in chocolate and cocoa, along with caffeine can cause an increased heart rate. A pet that consumes toxic amounts of chocolate can experience hyperactivity, tremors, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially death.
Take pets with suspected chocolate poisoning to their veterinarian immediately. The veterinarian may induce vomiting. Active charcoal may be used to prevent absorption into the bloodstream. Additional fluid therapy may also be warranted.
Different types of chocolate
Dark chocolate contains more of the stimulants than milk chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate and baking chocolate contains even higher amounts, which make them more dangerous. White chocolate contains only trace amounts of caffeine and theobromine, but is still bad for your cat or dog and should still be avoided.
We had great sunny weather and a nice crowd turn up on Saturday Oct 27 for the 2018 Tails of Help Howloween Dog Walk.
Here is the first place prize winning duo of dinosaurs, posing with some friends at the event. Thank you to everyone who participated, and we look forward to doing it even bigger and better next year!
Watch our Howloween page here for more photos coming soon…
And thank you for photos taken by 'Kayla Williamson, volunteering on behalf of Next Big Move Calgary, https://www.nextbigmovecalgary.com/tails-of-help/'
Did you know?
Raisins can be toxic to dogs if ingested and can cause acute kidney injury. Halloween is coming and with that treats! Keep those treats safely out of the reach of your pets! Some of these treats may contain raisins. Acute kidney injury can result in a myriad of clinical signs and can be life threatening if left untreated.
It is unknown what substance in raisins (and grapes too!) is responsible for causing toxicity in our dogs and not every case of raisin ingestion will result in illness. If your dog has ingested raisins please contact your veterinarian immediately for advice to help keep your pet healthy.
This past weekend saw the Marda Gras Street Festival throw another huge party in the Marda Loop neighbourhood of Calgary on Sunday August 12 ... Tails of Help was there with our volunteers staffing the booth for tons of visitors. The event was another great success to help raise … (more)Read More
Holly, one of over 500 pets that Tails of Help has helped save and keep with her owner, Captain Ziggy. They were visiting the Tails of Help booth at Pet-a-Palooza on the July 28-29 weekend at Eau Claire in downtown Calgary. We were here at the event for both days Saturday and Sunday, and we had … (more)Read More
Look for Tails of Help at Pet-a-Palooza this weekend in Calgary.
Events there will include wiener dog races, a puppy stampede, dock diving, and Running of the Bulls (French and English bulldogs).
Bring your whole family, pets are welcome, and it's free! … (more)
Andrew Ewan has resigned from his position with Tails of Help to pursue another career
opportunity. Andrew has been Executive Director for Tails of Help for the past two years, and the charity sincerely appreciates … (more)