IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT:

Tails of Help temporary suspension for approvals of funding applications effective immediately

Tails of Help is working hard to keep more Alberta pets healthy and with their loving families. It is clear that the need for this program has surpassed our current capacity to fund it. 
We have reached a point where Tails of Help is now on the verge of having allocated all our available charitable funds for providing pet treatment aid.

Effective immediately, as of September 11, 2019, Tails of Help will have to temporarily suspend accepting applications to aid pet owners in need.

(continued…)

Read More

Why Participate in the Tails of Help 2018 Alberta Challenge?

Yes there are great prizes, but the greatest prize is helping to save more sick or injured Alberta pets!
Here is a picture of Dioji, one of over 150 Alberta pets that Tails of Help has saved already this year, and more than 550 during the past 5 years.
Read more about Dioji's heart-warming success story and the Alberta Challenge on our web page here:
www.tailsofhelp.ca/success-stories/

Read about Dioji-s heart-warming story on our Success Stories page!

Read about Dioji-s heart-warming story on our Success Stories page!

YES YOU CAN STILL SIGN UP FOR THE 2018 ALBERTA CHALLENGE!

<Click here for 2018 Alberta Challenge Info>

BIG NEWS: NEW PRIZES!

But the biggest prize is helping us to save more pets!

✓ CLICK HERE to SIGN UP using our online form  
Get your FREE Tails of Help Alberta Challenge 2017 Kit

ab-challenge-cup.jpg

NEW PRIZES:
Now any clinic/team can win a prize!
Any staff/team member can win!
Any client/donor or visitor can win!

Questions about the Alberta Challenge or Prize Draws? email to alberta-challenge@tailsofhelp.ca

Protect your pets this Halloween!

Humans love chocolate for all occasions, especially at Halloween! Unfortunately, chocolate in all forms is poisonous to our pets and should be kept away from them.

halloween-candy.jpg

Who is at risk?

Cats and dogs are both at risk of chocolate poisoning. However, there are more reported cases of dogs being affected since dogs typically eat just about anything. Smaller pets face much greater risk of chocolate toxicity than large breed dogs because it only takes a small amount of chocolate to negatively affect them. 3 ounces of milk chocolate can cause vomiting and diarrhea in a 9kg dog while it takes about 11 ounces to cause the same effects in an 35 kg dog.

Signs

Theobromine, the naturally occurring stimulant in chocolate and cocoa, along with caffeine can cause an increased heart rate. A pet that consumes toxic amounts of chocolate can experience hyperactivity, tremors, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and potentially death.

Treatment

Take pets with suspected chocolate poisoning to their veterinarian immediately. The veterinarian may induce vomiting. Active charcoal may be used to prevent absorption into the bloodstream. Additional fluid therapy may also be warranted.

Different types of chocolate

Dark chocolate contains more of the stimulants than milk chocolate, and unsweetened chocolate and baking chocolate contains even higher amounts, which make them more dangerous. White chocolate contains only trace amounts of caffeine and theobromine, but is still bad for your cat or dog and should still be avoided.

Happy Howloween!

We had great sunny weather and a nice crowd turn up on Saturday Oct 27 for the 2018 Tails of Help Howloween Dog Walk.
Here is the first place prize winning duo of dinosaurs, posing with some friends at the event. Thank you to everyone who participated, and we look forward to doing it even bigger and better next year!

Watch our Howloween page here for more photos coming soon…
And thank you for photos taken by 'Kayla Williamson, volunteering on behalf of Next Big Move Calgary, https://www.nextbigmovecalgary.com/tails-of-help/'

Halloween pet safety!? 

Did you know?

Raisins can be toxic to dogs if ingested and can cause acute kidney injury. Halloween is coming and with that treats! Keep those treats safely out of the reach of your pets! Some of these treats may contain raisins. Acute kidney injury can result in a myriad of clinical signs and can be life threatening if left untreated.

It is unknown what substance in raisins (and grapes too!) is responsible for causing toxicity in our dogs and not every case of raisin ingestion will result in illness. If your dog has ingested raisins please contact your veterinarian immediately for advice to help keep your pet healthy.